Careers Newsletter, Weeks 3 and 4
In this issue:
- Careers Fairs – don’t miss this great chance to meet employers on campus
- New term, new look – you won’t be able to miss us now!
- A career mentor can help you think about your future – we can help you find one
- Take part in a Charity Internship – we have great projects on offer
- Join one of our school based projects – in mentoring, travel, cooking and science
- The York Award has something for everyone – check out what you can do
- Our Student Internship Bureau organises term time internships – find out more
- Le Tour is coming! Bid for up to £500 if you have a great idea to engage the city
- Hundreds of students volunteer with YSIS in local schools – you can too
- Inspire York students with your overseas experiences as part of Global York Week
- Have fun and help the community in York with lots more volunteering opportunities
- Christmas is coming – and you can make money at the Careers Christmas Market!
- App Challenge – do you know what it takes to create a successful app?
- Even more employers on campus
- Need help with CVs, want to develop your career plans? We have lots of help in our weekly courses and briefings
- Take 10 minutes to watch a video interview with someone working in the profession you are interested in
… and more
1. Autumn Careers Fairs – your chance to meet leading employers on campus
Many employers attending our Careers Fairs recruit students from ANY degree discipline, so check them out and come along. Vacation internships as well as graduate opportunities are on offer, so you don’t have to be a final year student to attend. Full details on our events page
- 15 Oct (Week 3), Careers in Management & Finance: Physics Ex. Centre, 11am – 3pm
- 16 Oct (Week 3), Careers in Technology: Physics Ex. Centre, 11am – 3pm
- 24 Oct (Week 4), Careers in Law: Ron Cooke Hub, 12 noon – 3pm
2. New term, a bright new look for Careers
We’ve got a bright new look for the new term – so there are no excuses for missing us on campus now! Come and see us, find out what we offer. And remember – we are NOT just for final years, we have lots of exciting things for you to get involved in from Day 1 of your time at York!
3. A career mentor can help you think about your future – apply to our mentoring scheme now
Applications for our Autumn term Alumni Mentoring Scheme (AMS) are now open! This is a fantastic opportunity to develop your career planning with the help of an experienced mentor drawn from the University’s extensive alumni network.
Go to the AMS webpage for more information about the scheme and how to apply. Deadline: Sunday 20th October (week 3).
4. Run it! Charity Internships. Last chance – deadline Wednesday Week 3 (16 Oct)
Could you use your creative flair to research and design content for an online art exhibition design for Caroline’s Rainbow Foundation? Or do you know what will appeal? Get to understand the people, place and products of Poppleton Community Railway Nursery to create a marketing plan for the charity. For your chance to tackle a challenging project and share your skills apply now! Deadline: 5pm Wednesday Week 3 (16 Oct). Visit our Run it! volunteering pages to find out more and apply.
5. Last chance to apply for a school based team project! Run it! Mentoring, Travel, Cooking and Science
Working as part of a team, you could volunteer alongside staff from the Food and Environment Research Agency (Fera), Northern Rail, or the York Marriott Hotel to deliver interactive workshops in local primary schools, or volunteer to mentor Year 11 girls at Huntington School through the design and delivery a fundraising event. Deadline: Wednesday Week 3 (16 Oct). Details and application on our website.
6. Have you checked out the York Award yet?
Final year? If you are in your final year, and have been involved in activities outside your academic course – part time work, internships, volunteering, skills courses, sports, societies etc. – you could apply for the YA. Check out details and if you have questions book a Careers Information Appointment through the Careers Gateway Finalists should also check out our Final Year Focus.
Not a finalist? You won’t be able to apply for the York Award certificate until your final year but in the meantime check out the skills courses we offer to all students – there’s everything from Perfect Presentations to leadership skills.
7. Student Internship Bureau internships can help you get great work experience
Likely to be looking for a paid, local, project based internship sometime this year? Our Student Internship Bureau will be advertising a range of part time opportunities throughout the year. Find out more on our SIB web pages and follow us on Facebook.
8. Start it! Tour de France Festival Funding – what’s your idea to engage the city?
The Tour de France is coming to Yorkshire along with 2-3 million visitors and the world’s media. There is up to £500 available to successful project ideas to engage schools and city spaces in the cultural festival. Why not apply with your society, college, course friends or house mates to put on a street performance, show art through endurance or set up a school based Tour de France?
Find out more about how to be in with the chance of receiving funding at our Launch Event 5.30pm, Thursday Week 4 (24 Oct), Lakehouse, Ron Cooke Hub. Visit our website for more details.
9. Do it! Volunteer as a classroom assistant with YSIS – Apply now!
A YSIS placement provides students with the opportunity to volunteer in schools for a 10-week placement of half a day each week. Applications open from Monday Week 3 (16 Oct) to Monday Week 5 (28 Oct). If you’re not sure what’s involved, why not attend an Introduction to YSIS session to find out about the scheme and ask any questions that you might have? More details about YSIS on our website.
10. Inspire your fellow students with your overseas experiences as part of Global York Week
In week 7 we will be holding our international event Global Connect and are now collecting case studies to promote during the week. If you have had work or voluntary experience overseas during your time at York, please let us know about it. We want to create case studies for our website to show other students what it’s possible to do – and give you a chance to share what you’ve learnt. If you’re interested please email firstname.lastname@example.org asap and we’ll send you more details.
11. Do it! Volunteer with a community or voluntary organisation in York
You have the opportunity to volunteer with organisations such as SNAPPY, York Museums Trust, Friends of St Nicholas Fields, The York Archaeological Trust, and many more by applying for a Community Placement, recruiting from Tuesday Week 4 (22 Oct) to Thursday Week 6 (7 Nov). There are a range of opportunities to have a fun and fulfilling experience whilst contributing to the York community. For more information visit our volunteering Do it! page.
12. Sign up for a stall at this year’s Christmas Market!
Christmas might seem a while away, but now’s the time to get thinking about what you could make, create or source to sell at Careers‘ annual Christmas Market. Taking place from 11:00 – 15:00 on Wednesday 27th November (Week 9) in James Hall, it’s the perfect opportunity to make a little money before Christmas in a fun, creative way. Not sure what to sell? Possible ideas could include homemade gifts, decorations, cards and paper, novelty items – think festive presents! Make sure you register here for a stall before Wednesday 13th November (Week 7)
13. App Challenge: Ever wondered what it takes to create a super successful app?
If you’ve ever thought of a great idea for an app but not known what to do next, the App Challenge is the course for you. Running for four weeks starting in Week 5, the App Challenge is open to students from all disciplines – no coding experience necessary. You will be introduced to the different aspects of creating and launching an app, from design to delivery. Register for this course via your Careers Gateway (www.york.ac.uk/careers/gateway) from Monday week 3 (14 Oct).
14. Employer events in weeks 3 and 4
- Where no location is given for an event, please log into Careers Gateway for further information and booking details www.york.ac.uk/careers/gateway
14 Oct, 12.00-14.00: Civil Service HR Fast Stream, learn about the scheme and the application process
14 Oct, 18.30-19.30: Nabarro, How to make the most of the Law Fair, an employer’s perspective
15 Oct, 18.30-21.00: PWC, Networking event with drinks and snacks,
16 Oct, 11.00-16.00: Capital One, Coffee and Careers, Derwent Café
17 Oct, 12.00-13.00: SEO London, Internships and graduate roles with SEO London
17 Oct, 18.30-20.30: CMS Cameron McKenna LLP, partner talk and networking
21 Oct, 12.30-13.30: ARM, Technical presentation
21 Oct 18.00 – 19.00 Santander, presentation
21 Oct, 18.30-20.00: MacFarlanes, City Law presentation
22 Oct, Reach Out Volunteers – one hour sessions at 14.00, 15.00, 16.00 and 17.00
22 Oct, 18.00-21.00: EY, EY Live
22 Oct, 14.00 – 16.00 BT, Technology Graduate Programme
23 Oct, 13.30-15.30: Morgan Stanley, Sales and Trading event
23 Oct, 16.30 – 18.00 Morgan Stanley, Afternoon tea with Sales and Trading
24 Oct, 17.15-20.15: Teach First, Employer Presentation
24 Oct , 18.00-20.00: Linklaters presentation and networking event, Royal York
15. Careers briefings Weeks 3 & 4 (14 – 25 Oct)
Full details of content and location can be found on the Careers Gateway www.york.ac.uk/careers/gateway
14 Oct, Developing your Career Plans, 4.00pm
Introduction to YSIS, 2.30pm
17 Oct, Introduction to the York Award, 1.00pm
Introduction to YSIS, 1.00pm
CV Basics, 5.00pm
22 Oct Introduction to the York Award 12.30pm
22 Oct Introduction to YSIS 4.00pm
23 Oct Teacher Training applications 1.00pm
23 Oct Alumni Mentoring Scheme briefing 3.00pm
(apply for the scheme before attending)
For details of this term’s skills courses that count towards the York Award please visit the website.
16. Caught our eye this week
www.10minuteswith.com learn directly from professionals working in the sector you want to get into.
17. Information about Careers:
- Lots more information available 24 hours a day at www.york.ac.uk/careers
- Search for jobs online via Careers Gateway www.york.ac.uk/careers/gateway
- Read the latest Careers news at https://yorkcareers.wordpress.com/
- Opening hours: Monday – Friday 10.00am – 5.00pm (undergraduate term time)
- Details of our full event programme for Autumn 2013: www.york.ac.uk/careers/events
- Follow us on social media: www.york.ac.uk/careers/socialmedia