Happy New Year – and welcome to the first Careers Newsletter of 2014!
In this issue:
- Final year students – don’t miss the deadline for your York Award application, 24 January
- Invitation to our ‘Working in Education’ event on 21 January
- Do it! Volunteer as a classroom assistant with YSIS – great fun and great experience
- YSIS Plus educational workshops for Spring term
- Spring into Action this term – it’s time to take charge of your employability
- Get your new year off to a great start with a paid term-time internship!
- A career mentor can help you plan your future – join our Alumni Mentoring Scheme
- NHS Scientist Training Programme (STP) is now open for applications
- What will you do this summer? International Study Centres available in Cape Town or Beijing – apply now!
- Skills courses for Spring term are now online
- Key dates for your diary – Spring term Careers events
- In your department – more events especially for you
- International student pages – updated information on routes to stay in the UK after your studies
- Celebrating the success of our Assessment Centre Activity Day
- Caught our eye this week: scholarship and work opportunities for international students
… and more
1. Deadline for York Award is fast approaching – 5.00pm, 24 January 2014
The application process for the York Award is now open for final year students. It takes time to do a good York Award application – so if you’ve not already started you need to get going! The deadline is 5.00pm sharp on Friday 24 January (Week 3).
If you have questions or need help:
- check out the York Award Assessment pages online
- Attend our ‘Applying for the York Award’ briefings for final years (9 and 15 January), full details on our events page
- Attend a Careers Information Appointment (bookable through Careers Gateway) with specific questions – we can’t review your form, but our information team will be able to answer any questions you have.
2. Event Invitation: Working in Education – careers with children and young people
Tuesday 21 January 4pm – 6pm, Physics Exhibition Centre
Come along to this event if you are interested in a career working with children and young people – both inside and outside the classroom. You will have the chance to talk to training providers and people working in a variety of roles including educational research, museums education, voluntary organisations, family support. There will also be opportunities to sign up for volunteering to help you gain valuable experience and to see if this career area is for you.
3. Do it! Volunteer as a classroom assistant with YSIS
A YSIS placement provides students with the opportunity to volunteer in schools for a 10-week placement of half a day each week. Applications open from Monday Week 3 to Monday Week 5 for summer placements. If you’re not sure what’s involved, why not attend an Introduction to YSIS session to find out about the scheme and ask any questions that you might have? Sessions are in week 2, 3 and 4. For more information visit our Do it! pages.
4. Interested in education and keen to further your knowledge? Attend our educational workshops starting in Week 3
Do you want to gain more knowledge about the educational system? Are you interested in working in the education sector or becoming a teacher? Attend YSIS Plus workshops! YSIS Plus workshops are run by education experts from the Local Authority and Teach First throughout the Spring term, starting Week 3. Find out about current practice and learn useful techniques on a variety of topics, including behaviour, special educational needs, lesson planning, and supporting pupils with English as a second language. You can attend any workshop, and you don’t need to have been previously involved with YSIS. Download the full programme from the website.
5. It’s time to Spring into Action – take advantage of all the exciting opportunities open to you at York
It’s never too early (or too late!) to start taking advantage of the opportunities available to you outside your academic course. The New Year is a great time to start getting involved in activities on campus and in the local community – everything from clubs and societies to volunteering and part time work. Make the most of yourself this Spring and start building your future. Keep a look out for Careers Brand Managers around campus throughout the term – they will have ideas to inspire you, and can answer your questions about how you can Spring into Action this term!
6. Get your new year off to a great start with a paid term-time internship!
See below for the 4 exciting Student Internship Bureau internships closing over the next two weeks.
- Part-Time Marketing and Social Media Internship, Making Research Count, Department of Social Policy and Social Work, Campus – *Closing date: Wednesday 8th January*
- Part-Time Community Engagement Internship, Higher York – *Closing date: Wednesday 8th January*
- Part- Time Access Audit of the University of York Campus: Disability and Accessibility Group, Campus – *Closing date: Sunday 19th January*
- Part-Time Publishing Business Development Internship, Mare Nostrum, Harrogate – *Closing date: Sunday 19th January*
To apply to any of these vacancies log onto Careers Gateway and search for “Student Internship Bureau“. We will continue to advertise internships throughout the year so keep your eyes peeled for more opportunities!
7. Get a Career Mentor to help you plan your future – join our Alumni Mentoring Scheme
Do you want to build confidence communicating with graduate professionals, receive advice on applications and interviews or get support in deciding what you want to do after university? Open to both undergraduates and postgraduates, the Alumni Mentoring Scheme (AMS) provides a fantastic opportunity for current students to receive impartial advice and support from an experienced mentor drawn from the University’s extensive alumni network. Visit our mentoring webpage for more information.
The AMS application process for Spring term is currently open – deadline is Tuesday 21st January (week 3). All applicants should be available to attend the AMS Briefing 15.00 – 16.00 on Wednesday 29th January (Week 4).
8. NHS Scientist Training Programme (STP) is open for applications from 6 January 2014
NHS trusts are funded to offer salaried training posts in life sciences, physical sciences and biomedical engineering, or physiological sciences throughout England – the STP programme. The application period for the NHS STP will be between 6 January and 31 January 2014 for direct entry applications. Full details on the NHS STP recruitment pages includes information on the application process, eligibility, key dates, extensive FAQs on all aspects of the programme and recruitment, open days, and a list of posts available by specialism and geographical location (from 6 Jan 2014).
9. International Study Centres, Summer 2014: Cape Town or Beijing – apply now!
Spend up to 3 weeks broadening your international and educational experience this summer. In South Africa you will spend just over two weeks learning more about the apartheid years, visiting key sites such as Robben Island and Table Mountain and take part in an African languages workshop. In China your three week trip will be based at the prestigious Peking University. You will take part in lectures on art and culture as well as experience visits to heritage sites and the Great Wall of China.
This opportunity is open to all students in any degree discipline. A fee is payable and bursaries are available – for full details visit the Centre for Global Programmes website. Closing date for applications is 24 January 2014.
10. Skills courses for Spring term are now online
If you want to boost your skills and make yourself more employable, check out our Spring term York Award courses. These are open to students from all years and all degree disciplines! Booking opens two weeks in advance of the start date (8.00am on Monday of that week) and we operate a waiting list, so if you don’t get a place immediately you might still be able to take part if someone drops out before the start of the course. Full details including dates for booking, are on the York Award courses pages.
11. Spring term Careers events – some key dates for your diary
- 21 January – Working in Education: Careers with children, young people and adults
- 24 January – York Award deadline at 5.00pm sharp!
- 29 January – Assessment Centre Activity Day
- 19 February – Interview Masterclass
- 25 February – Networking Masterclass
- 25 February – Professional Connect networking even [Link]t: Retail; Public & Third Sector; PR, Marketing & Advertising
Full details of these events and many others on our website and via Careers Gateway
12. In your department – Careers events especially for you
Alongside our central programme of activities which are open to all students, we offer a range of tailored sessions in academic departments each term. This can range from alumni networking sessions to workshops to help you to understand how to make strong, relevant job applications. Read more about what we are doing here and check your timetable (and our events programme) for these sessions.
13. Updated information for international students – additional routes to work in the UK after studies
Check out the updated information on the Working in the UK (Immigration Issues) section of our pages for international students which now has information about the Sirius Project for those who have a great business idea (Tier 1 Graduate Entrepreneur visa), and two routes under Tier 5 which may be suitable for some international students depending on nationality and circumstances.
14. Celebrating the success of our Assessment Centre Activity Day
In November we held the first assessment centre activity day of the academic year. Over 80 students attended the event on Heslington East and enjoyed sessions led by Aviva, Teach First and Jaguar Land Rover. These sessions helped to give students a real idea of how an assessment centre operates and an insight into what employers are looking for in recruits. Read more about the day’s events and the feedback from the employers, and if you’re inspired, we are holding another of these activity days on 29 January 2014– get the date in your diary and come along.
15. Caught our eye this week:
- Information on thousands of scholarships for international students worldwide
- Gradlinkuk – overseas job search resources for international students
16. Information about Careers:
- Lots more information available 24 hours a day on our website
- Search for jobs online via Careers Gateway
- Find out about different types of appointments we offer
- Read the latest Careers news online – updated daily
- Opening hours: Monday – Friday 10.00am – 5.00pm (undergraduate term time)
- Details of our full event programme for Spring 2014
- Follow us on social media for daily updates of careers news