Careers Newsletter, Spring 2014, Weeks 9 and 10
In this issue:
- Become a better team player and leader – join our free course!
- Need advice? Get a career mentor now for summer term
- Internship news for summer 2014
- Lots of ideas to fund internships, overseas work, volunteering and travel
- Social Work: Frontline’s year of opportunity – internships, brand manager positions and competitions
- Plan ENVY – our annual business plan competition with up to £2,000 to win
- Find out more about the education system with our latest YSIS Plus workshop
- Use the Easter vacation to get ahead – the Employability Tutorial is the perfect way to help you think about your future
- Thank you to our Careers Brand Managers – another great term’s work!
- Spotlight on Marketing – have you got what it takes?
- “10 minutes with…” check out this video platform to find out about different careers
- Spring into Jobs fair, Sheffield, 27 March – graduate programmes, internships and travel opportunities
- Employer events on campus – advice for Chinese students and paid summer internship opportunities
- Careers Briefings – open to all students
- Meet the team: Sally Greenwood
… and more.
1. Do you want to understand more about team work and becoming a leader?
Join our free Team and Leadership Development on Monday 17 March and Tuesday 18 March 2014 (Week 1 of vacation) Snowball Plantation Centre, Stockton-on-Forest
This is your last chance to apply for a place on our flagship York Award course, Team and Leadership Development! This course is great for anyone wanting to better understand the dynamics of how teams work. We give you plenty of opportunity to put your skills to the test through a range of indoor and outdoor team challenges. Experienced team tutors will help you review, and improve your team’s approach to tasks. Team and Leadership Development gives you the chance to get off campus, have some fun and develop a skill fundamental to most work environments, graduate assessment centres and academic study. See the course web page for more information and apply online by Monday 3rd March.
2. Get a career mentor – Alumni Mentoring Scheme is open for applications for summer term
This is a fantastic opportunity to develop your career planning with the help of an experienced mentor drawn from the University’s extensive alumni network. The scheme is open to all students and it doesn’t matter what stage of thinking about your future you’re at. Go to the AMS webpage for more information about the scheme and how to apply. The application deadline for summer term is Monday 10 March (Week 10, Spring term)
Interested? If you want to apply please ensure you are available to attend the AMS briefing session 3.00pm – 4.00pm, Wednesday 30 April (Week 2, Summer term). Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
3. Have you secured an internship for the summer? We can help!
Have you managed to secure an internship for the Summer? After Easter the Student Internship Bureau will be advertising paid internships from Week 2 onwards. We will advertise a range of internships which will be an invaluable experience whether you would like to develop a particular skill or to improve your overall employability.
To find out what internships are on offer now and after Easter, log into Careers Gateway and search by organisation “Student Internship Bureau”. Keep up to date with the latest projects as they are advertised, by liking our SIB Facebook page.
As well as SIB internships, we are currently advertising lots of other internships throughout the UK and overseas through Careers Gateway.
4. Read our top tips to help you fund an internship, volunteering or travel this summer
Check out our top tips to help you find funding for work experience, travel, overseas volunteering and internships. Funding is available right now from the University of York Travel Bursary and the Santander International Connections Award. Check out these and lots more ideas to help you fund your summer opportunity in our top tips article.
If you plan to travel abroad this summer, please check out the latest safety and health advice from the Foreign and Commonwealth Office’s “Know before you go“ campaign.
5. Social Work: Frontline’s year of opportunity – lots of ways to get involved
Frontline is the new route into the Social Work profession and the first 100 graduates have now been recruited to join the Leadership Development Programme. Lots of exciting new developments have now been announced for the coming year including:
- the launch of a new internship programme
- brand manager roles on campus to promote the programme (from October 2014)
- details on how to apply for the next recruitment round and volunteering opportunities
- competition to win an iPad mini and £100 gift vouchers
Find out more now on the Frontline website.
6. Plan ENVY business plan competition – win up to £2,000
Plan ENVY (Exciting New Ventures at York), our annual Business Plan Competition, is now open. In addition to the first prize of £2000, further £500 category prizes will also be awarded! For more details and to download the business plan template, visit the Plan ENVY page of the our Enterprise website. Deadline for entries is Friday 9 May 2014 (Summer term, Week 3).
Want some extra help with your business plan? The last in a series of free workshops takes place on Thursday Week 9 (6 March), entitled “Know your markets: marketing and marketing research”. You don’t need to book to attend this workshop.
7. YSIS Plus workshops Week 9: Numeracy and Literacy
Do you want to gain more knowledge about the educational system? Are you interested in working in the education sector or becoming a teacher? Learn about Literacy and Numeracy on Wednesday Week 9, (5 March), 4.00pm, P/T/006. You will learn why both literacy and numeracy matter, unpick misconceptions, and discuss strategies and methods to support pupils in developing skills of literacy and numeracy across the curriculum.
8. Employability Tutorial
With Easter vacation on the way, now is the perfect time to get ahead with the Employability Tutorial and see how it can help you. Whether you’re stuck for ideas on what to do after graduation, you want to learn about your skills and how to talk about them in interviews, or you’re looking for things to get involved in at York, the Employability Tutorial has a section for everyone. With exam season not far away, it’s not too early (or too late!) to start thinking about your future. If you’ve not yet had chance to read our Graduate Intern’s blog on the ET, read it now.
9. Careers Brand Managers – thank you!
Our five Brand Managers have done a fantastic job this term of getting out and about on campus and speaking to students about all things Careers related. Our Brand Managers are on campus three times a week helping to raise the profile and awareness of Careers, as well as engaging with students throughout the university. You can catch them at various locations across both campuses every Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday until Week 10.
10. Spotlight on marketing
Marketing is a popular career choice for graduates – but do you know what it takes to be successful in this challenging sector? Graduate Prospects spoke to two hiring managers to see what they look for in prospective employees.
11.‘10 Minutes With’
We have access to ‘10 Minutes With’, an international video platform designed to help you understand the true nature of different jobs and identify the career paths that most suit you. Companies around the world use 10 Minutes With on a daily basis to interact with students and source the best talent worldwide!
Follow these 5 simple steps to sign up, upload your CV and you could be discovered next!
- Go to 10 Minutes with
- Click on Sign Up
- Enter your student email address
- Create your own account
- You will be sent an email to confirm your registration
12. “Spring into Jobs” fair – find out about graduate programmes, internships and travel opportunities, 27 March 2014, Sheffield
Around 50 exhibitors will be attending this fair from a wide range of sectors. Find out more about graduate programmes, internships and hear from organisations that provide overseas travel opportunities. Entry is free. Pre-register now on the Spring into Jobs fair website.
13. Employer Events in weeks 9 and 10
- Teach English in China: 4 March 1.00pm – 2.00pm, Book your place via Careers Gateway
- Mandarin Consulting: 6 March, 6.00pm – 8.00pm: Job and internship opportunities for Chinese students. Book your place via Careers Gateway
- Royal Navy – Practice Planning Exercise, Tuesday 11 March, 12.00 noon – 1.00pm Book your place via Careers Gateway
- Champions Life Academy: 12 and 13 March, paid, award winning summer Internship opportunity . Places are limited – to book your place email email@example.com or call Clare on 020 3468 3252 More details including times/location of presentations via Careers Gateway.
14. Careers Briefings in Weeks 9 and 10
Further information can be found via Careers Gateway
- Enterprise – know your markets: 6 March, 5.00pm, taking a look at the practical aspects of market research for a pre-start business
- The Law of Ideas: 12 March, 1.30pm, an introduction to the concept of intellectual property delivered by international law firm, Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer.
15. Meet the team – Sally Greenwood
Sally has been working in Careers for the last two and half years, and many of you will know her from her great work with our YSIS volunteering project. Read more about Sally in our new Meet the team feature.
16. Information about Careers:
- Lots more information available 24 hours a day on our website
- Search for jobs online via Careers Gateway
- Find out about different types of appointments we offer
- Read the latest Careers news online – updated daily
- Opening hours: Monday – Friday 10.00am – 5.00pm (undergraduate term time)
- Details of our full event programme for Spring 2014
- Follow us on social media for daily updates of careers news.