If you can articulate, in 900 words, your experiences from your recent placement, you could win £500. ASET competition for a short essay which will inform others about the value of placement experience, clearly express the value of your learning and do so in a lively and enthusiastic manner. You must have undertaken a placement that was an integrated part of your course, during the academic year 2013/14 or the summer of 2014.
ASET is the Work Based and Placement Learning Association and our aim is to promote the benefits of integrating work and learning. We will use extracts from the entries on our website and in publicity material for students and placement staff, for them to highlight to future students the value of such opportunities.
We are looking for essays which:
- clearly articulate the reasons for choosing to do a placement
- demonstrate the value of a course which integrates work with learning
- discuss how the placement was informed by your academic learning
- suggest how future academic learning will be enhanced by the placement
- explore the opportunities for personal and professional development in placement
- discuss the positive impact of placement on your career prospects
Submitting your entry
- Your entry must be in English, word processed, and no more than 900 words. You may include
- illustrations but you may not use appendices.
- Please attach a cover page with your full name, address, email, academic institution, course, the name of your employing organisation, the title of your entry and the number of words it contains.
- You must provide confirmation from a member of University staff that you are a student and that your placement is an integrated part of your course. This can be an electronic letter or an email.
- Your entry must be emailed to arrive on or before the closing date of 9th January 2015 and should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
Terms and Conditions
- Entries that fail to meet all the above criteria will be rejected.
- Judges will make their decision against the above criteria.
- The judges’ decision is final and no correspondence over the results will be entered into.
- You must seek clearance from your placement employer before submitting to ASET.
- ASET will use edited quotations and versions of the entries to encourage and publicise the concept of work related learning. The copyright of all entries submitted will be vested in ASET.
- Entrants will be notified of the results by the end of March 2015.