Science and Technology Careers Newsletter
Departmental Careers Events: Weeks 8-10 (23 Feb-15 Mar)
These events are specifically tailored to your department – don’t miss out!
- All departments – don’t miss!
Working In…Thu 26 Feb (Week 8), 6:15-8:30pm
Environment & Sustainability
Media, Journalism & Publishing
Arts & Heritage
If you’re interested in any of the above sectors and want to explore job ideas, work experience opportunities and to meet people already working in these areas, this event is the perfect opportunity to do so! Whatever year you’re in, and whatever you’re studying, come and explore these sectors and make connections for breaking into the industry. Professionals attending work in a range of organisationas and roles including:
Environment & Sustainability:
Organisations such as: Natural England, FERA, Environment Agency, Yorkshire Water, Nissan, JaguarLandRover, Yorkshire Wildlife Trust, Network Rail, St Nicks
Roles including: research, policy, CSR, economics, consultancy, environmental management, education, flood risk, environmental engineering, public engagement
Media, Journalism & Publishing:
Organisations such as: BBC, ITV, YouTube, Bonnier Publishing, Taylor Francis Group, Flying Object, Origems Creatif
Roles including: press officer, reporter, channel manager, sales, editorial director, assistant editor, producer
Arts & Heritage:
Organisations such as: Headland Archaeology, National Railway Museum, According to McGee, York Theatre Royal, National Trust
Roles including: facilitator and change consultant, director, education consultant, visual community artist, visitors service manager, art gallery owner, conservation assistant
Keep an eye on the Working In.. webpage for details of all the professionals attending, and for useful hints on making the most of the event. This is a fantastic event, and one you don’t want to miss this term! You can book a place at the panel Q&As (this helps us with catering numbers), but you can also just turn up on the evening.
MSc Green Chemistry CV and Applications workshop – Tue 3 Mar (Week 9), 10:00-12:00, C/A/140 (Chemistry)
MSc Green Chemistry Interview Skills – Thu 5 Mar (Week 9), 10:00-12:00, C/A/128 (Chemistry)
Careers Appointments – Mon 2 Mar (Week 9), 10.30 – 11.30am and 1.30 – 2.30pm (book appointment via Careers Gateway)
Science and Technology Careers Snippets
- Information and advice about applying for medical school, including practice UKCAT questions on the Medic Portal
- A day in the life of a clinical psychologist
- Getting a job in the chemical industry – case studies and video interviews on working in one of the UK’s most successful industries
- The deadline is approaching for EPSRC funded doctoral training grants and the ESPRC Quantum Hub studentships in the department of Computer Science. Deadline 27 February.
General Careers news
Santander Travel Awards and Bursaries
Santander International Connections Award grants of up to £1000 available for all students and staff wishing to undertake an international visit or project in 2015. Applications close 17 Mar 2015.
Financial support for work experience this summer
The YUSU Internship Support Scheme offers a grant of £500 to University of York students undertaking paid work experience of at least four weeks this summer. Read the full criteria and apply via the website. Deadline 10 May.
Team and Leadership Development
Keep an eye out for this fun two day course on 16-17 March on campus, designed to help you develop teamwork, leadership and problem-solving skills. This hands-on, team-building course is open to postgraduates and undergraduates. Applications are open now!
The National Student Survey
The National Student Survey is now open – this is your chance to have your say and give your opinions on your course experience. So if you’re nearing the end of your studies and there was something you really liked about your course, or something you’d like to see improved for next year, now’s your opportunity to do so! The survey only takes 5 minutes to complete, and is really beneficial to current and prospective students. A powerful collective voice can shape the future of your course, so complete the survey today!
Careers central events: Weeks 8-10 (23 Feb-15 Mar)
If no location is given, please follow the link for further details and online booking to reserve your space.
- IBM Campus Challenge, Thu 26 Feb (Week 8), 10:30-3:30pm, Ron Cooke Hub (Heslington East)
- Teach English in China: Summer Internships and Graduate Jobs, Thu 5 Mar (Week 9), 12:00-1:00pm
- Teach First Leadership Development Programme, Thu 5 Mar (Week 9), D/056
- Careers Lounge – Applications, Tue 24 Feb (Week 8), 12:00-1:00pm, D/L/037 (Derwent)
- Putting skills to work, Wed 25 Feb (Week 8), 1:00-3:00pm
- Career Planning, Wed 25 Feb (Week 8), 3:00-4:00pm, V/C/120 (Vanbrugh C Block)
- Realise your strengths, Wed 4 Mar (Week 9), 1:00-2:00pm
- Marvellous meetings, Wed 4 Mar (Week 9), 1:30-5:30pm
Workshops and talks
- YSIS Plus – Working with pupils with English as an additional language, Wed 25 Feb (Week 8), 4:00-6:00pm, C/A/102 (Chemistry)
- Deloitte Insight Day, Thu 26 Feb (Week 8), 1:30-5:00pm, Off Campus Event
- Working In Media, Journalism and Publishing, Thu 26 Feb (Week 8), 6:15-8:30pm
- Working In Arts and Heritage, Thu 26 Feb (Week 8), 6:15-8:30pm
- Working In Environment and Sustainability, Thu 26 Feb (Week 8), 6:30-8:30pm
- Applying for further study, Mon 2 Mar (Week 9), 11:00-12:00pm, V/120 (Vanbrugh)
- Could you Teach Maths ?, Mon 2 Mar (Week 9), 5:00-6:30pm, B/B/006 (Biology)
- YSIS Plus – Literacy and Numeracy, Wed 4 Mar (Week 9), 4:00-6:00pm, P/L/005 (Physics)
- The York Finance Conference, Fri 6 Mar (Week 9), 9:00-7:00pm, Off Campus Event
You must be logged in to post a comment.