With graduation right around the corner, and exams almost out of the way, you’ll be forgiven if career planning has taken a back seat. It’s not too late to start thinking about life after university, so whether you’ve already got a job lined up, or you’ve no idea what you want to do, we’ve got things that can help before the end of term:
1. Final Years’ Workshop If you’re not sure where to go next, it’s not too late to work out what you want to do and how to get there! You should come to our Career Planning for Final Year Workshops. Although fairly intensive, these workshops are designed to give you helpful tips and tools to plan what you’ll do after your time at University, and how to access Careers’ support after you graduate. The workshops cover:
- advice on how to plan a career, turning the blank sheet of paper into something you can tackle.
- help in thinking about their career direction: what do I want? what are my skills and strengths?
- guidance on job search strategies – what approaches work best
- a practical action plan for you to take your next steps with confidence.
If this sounds like something you would find helpful, you can book a space at the workshop, which will run on two different dates – Wednesday 3 June (Week 8) and Thursday 11 June (Week 9) –, 2:30 – 5pm, via Careers Gateway now!
2. Summer Recruitment Day Thinking about boosting your work experience? Still not quite sorted out summer plans? Planning to get a graduate or part-time job after exams? If your answer to any of these questions is yes, the Summer Recruitment Day is the solution for you! Taking place in Your Space on Monday 8 June (Week 9), 11-3pm, you will have the opportunity to talk to employers offering everything from short-term summer casual work, to graduate internships to permanent graduate roles. You could leave with a job on the day! We are inviting local recruitment agencies with immediate starts, top graduate recruiters looking for summer internships and permanent roles to meet you on campus. So join us for a chat with Reed, Adecco, Enterprise Rent-a-Car, FDM and Gradcracker to name but a few. Nothing to lose and everything to gain! We will also be offering a CV clinic 12-2pm – come along with your CV for support from our Careers Advisers and top tips from employers. Register your interest on Careers Gateway, and see you there!
3. Kickstart your ideas over summer with Proof of Concept Funding Do you have an idea that could become a new business? Students and recent graduates can apply for an award of up to £1000 to try out a concept for a product or service. If you’ve been waiting until exams are over to give your ideas a go, now’s the time to apply for Proof of Concept funding. The next deadline is Friday 5 June (Week 8) and there’s one further round in the summer vacation period. So even if you’re graduating this summer, there’s still time to make your ideas a reality!
4. Plan your future with our award-winning tool! Coming up with a life-plan from scratch isn’t easy, so we’ve made an online tool to help you do just that! If you don’t know what you want to do, you can get some ideas and start coming up with a ‘long-list’. You can also learn about different types of employment and further study, as well as other options, and connect with graduates working in a variety of different roles. You can also use your plan to discuss ideas with your supervisor to help you make a decision, and find inspiration and advice from other York graduates. Graduating doesn’t mean you have to have your life after university sorted, but using this tool can help you iron your choices out and make difficult decisions less confusing. You can access it here, and for more support and advice once you’ve graduated, you can get in touch with Careers at any point, no matter how long after graduation!
You must be logged in to post a comment.