New this year, all York undergraduate students can pursue a Placement Year through a Placement Year programme managed by Careers and Placements. This means all York students can access more roles, opportunities and substantive work experience routes in your university years which will strengthen your professional brand and offering, and therefore support your professional career after graduation.
What’s in it for you?
There are many benefits to completing a placement year. Most placement year students gain a significant confidence boost during their placement year and return to University more focused, confident and assertive which can reflect in their final year grade.
A number of graduate employers who offer placement years fast track placement students to graduate jobs, so you could potentially return to York for your final year with a graduate job already in the bag. At the very least you will likely return with more clarity, a stronger CV and much more prepared to secure a graduate job.
A placement year is a great opportunity to try the day to day of your future career before you invest long term in it. You may love it, another role may catch your eye during the year, or you might realise it actually isn’t for you. Regardless of which of these options you experience, its better to know now before you set off into the world of work full time.
You get the perfect opportunity to put your skills into practice, making a real difference and strengthening your professional brand and offering in the process. You will gain an extended network from your placement which may well come in handy in the future too.
A year long placement will allow you to gain extended exposure to different areas of work which will undoubtedly strengthen your commercial awareness – a key attribute many employers are looking for.
How does the Placement Year Programme work?
- You would search and apply for a placement year in your second year of study to complete in your third year of a four year programme.
- If you choose to pursue a placement year you need to Register on to the Placement Year Programme managed by Careers and Placements here before 21st January.
- If you are successful in receiving and accepting a Placement Year offer there is a process you need to go through with Careers and Placements to approve your placement.
- Once it is approved your would commence your 9-12 month placement year between June & September following your second year of study.
- Careers and Placements provide supervision and support throughout your placement year.
- When you have progressed to your final year of study the substantial amount of work experience gained on your placement is recognised within your degree title.
How Can You Start Finding Out More?
- Update your preferences on the Careers Gateway to receive our Placements Newsletter for updates and tips on placements.
- Check out the Placements webpage for more information.
- Book your place on our informal Weekly Placement Q&A Drop Ins every Monday. Book your place now.
- Join us for the Placement Year launch event on 5 October – 5-7.30pm hosted by Rate My Placement and meet a number of placement employers as well as the Placements Team. Book your place now.
Great places to search for placements are the Careers Gateway and Rate My Placement. Remember you can always send speculative applications too, and Careers and Placements are always here to help. Find out where else to search here.
Who knows, in a couple of years time you could end up feeling like Lucy Willis, BSc Management (with a year in industry), who has just completed her placement at Warner Bros as Digital Marketing Intern:
“At the end of my placement year in Digital Marketing at Warner Bros I feel much more confident, skilled, I’ve built a great professional network and am excited to build my career once I’ve graduated.”
Please note, if your home department offers a Year In Industry programme please speak to your department Placement contact about your options.
In the meantime feel free to book a Placements Appointment by calling Careers and Placements on 01904 322685. You can also email any questions to email@example.com