We are open on campus from 10:00 to 17:00 Monday to Friday. The Enquiry Desk will be staffed and Careers drop-in will be available for quick queries with an Information Officer, between the drop-in hours of 11:00 to 13:00. Watch our video on Facebook or Instagram to see the safety measures we have put in place in our building and what we need you to do when you visit us.
Virtual events and fairs
We will still have a programme of events during Autumn term, however these will be a mixture of live online events and pre-recorded sessions as well as links to careers related employer webinars. See the full listing on Handshake . To see what pre-recorded sessions we have available, check out our What’s On web page.
Our annual careers fairs will be going ahead but will be virtual. You’ll be able to book to attend group sessions and even have 1:1 conversations with employers you’re interested in. Look on Handshake to see which employers are attending the fairs and register for group sessions or individual appointments if these are of interest.
Use our online tools
Did you know we have a group of online tools to help you with applications, interviews and assessment tests?
- CareerSet is a CV checking tool. Upload your CV to CareerSet and within minutes it will rate your CV’s impact and give you a percentage score and points to improve on. If you’re applying for a specific job vacancy, you can upload the job description alongside your CV and CareerSet will compare them
- Use ShortlistMe to try a mock interview. ShortlistMe allows you to choose a mock interview which consists of questions typically asked in graduate level interviews. You can record yourself answering the questions and watch them back or retry them. There are also tips on what an employer is looking for when they ask certain questions
- Practice psychometric tests. We have partnered with Assessment Day and Team Focus to provide a bank of practice tests exclusive to York students. These include practice verbal and numerical reasoning tests and personality tests
Appointments for careers advice with a Careers Consultant will continue to take place online this term. These 20 minute appointments will take place via Zoom and can be booked on Handshake. Careers drop-in is available on campus in our building between 11:00 and 13:00 Monday and Tuesday, Thursday and Friday and this is ideal for getting started with career planning, researching career options and finding relevant careers related information. We also offer these types of appointments:
- Careers advice for Postgraduate Research students
- Mock Interviews – if you have a job interview scheduled
- Placement Year appointments – for second years who are considering a placement year
- Enterprise appointments – to discuss a business idea
Your Career Journey
Your career journey is a handy graphic to show you some of the activities you can get involved with while at the University. It is split by year group and acts as a prompt to show you some of the deadlines, activities and options for careers related activities during your time at York.
Find a link to the journey by year group on our website
Some in person and some remote volunteering opportunities are available this term. Look at Handshake to see what is available and apply. To keep up to date with volunteering news and opportunities, why not sign up to the volunteering mailing list.