Christmas vacation – at last! We’re all feeling the strain after this year’s unexpected events, so this vacation is a particularly welcome time.
Yes, you might have revision to start or course work to finish, but be sure to take a breather as well. It’s more important than ever that you take some time to relax and recharge your batteries…as well as filling up on mince pies, Christmas pud and just one more Quality Street!
Of course, you may have to fend off tricky careers-related questions from family members (and maybe yourself!) about your future plans – “what are you going to do after University?”, “have you started applying for jobs?”, you know the sort of thing. Questions that’ll make you groan more than the corny jokes in a Christmas cracker.
All is not lost, though. You can have your Christmas cake and eat it. That is, have time off this vacation and still do something to help you plan.
So, if you’ve got half an hour to spare this vacation, want to escape the festive celebrity episode of Pointless or want to feel like you’ve done something towards your future career, try one of the following before the new term.
1. Listen to one of the Careers and Placements podcasts. We’ve had lots of interesting guests over the last year, talking about their jobs and career journeys to date.
2. Watch one of the virtual careers sessions from this Autumn Term. There are plenty of topics to choose from – career options, applying for jobs, work experience – and something for everyone.
3. Explore Handshake and see what’s available, whether it’s among the job vacancies or connecting with employers and your fellow students.
4. Upload your CV to CareerSet and get instant feedback. The detailed report you receive will give you a blow-by-blow account of things to consider.
5. Browse the York Profiles and Mentors database. Read about York alumni and their experiences post-University, as well as hearing about their tips to get you ahead.
Whatever you do, make sure you enjoy a well-earned break this vacation.
Happy Christmas from all of us in Careers and Placements!