You may have seen some emails from Careers and Placements, inviting you to get started with Handshake. Handshake is our new portal and for those that remember Careers Gateway, this is it’s replacement.
What can you do in Handshake?
Many of the functions you used in Careers Gateway are also available in Handshake. You can,
- Book an appointment with a Careers Consultant or Enterprise officer
- Search for internships or graduate roles
- Send us a message
- View a calendar of upcoming events including information sessions hosted by Careers and Placements
- See which employers are coming to career fairs
- Create a profile and receive information based on your career interests
And these new features..
- Interact with employers within Handshake by making your profile public. This means you will show up in employer searches
- You can also make your profile visible to other students, so you can connect with them for advice, or help them.
- When you view a job or employer page, you can see other students who have worked there, read reviews and follow that employer so you get an alert when they post job vacancies
- Store CVs, cover letters, and other documents which you can choose to make visible to employers
How do I use Handshake?
Every York student has a Handshake account registered to their York student email address. Sign in using your York username and password.
On your first login, you will be prompted to complete your profile and choose your notification settings. These can be changed at any time by selecting your account icon in the upper right hand corner, and then select notifications from the drop down menu.
To book appointments
Select Career Centre to schedule an appointment in Handshake. Choose your category (year of study) to see what appointments are available to you. When you’ve selected the type of appointment you need, you will be able to book a time slot and complete a short form telling us what you’d like to discuss. Appointments are via Zoom and you will find the link in your confirmation message from Handshake.
Send us a message
From Careers Centre, you can also send us a message. Scroll through the public staff list until you find Careers Information Team and then send us a message. If you have any documents we need to see in order to be able to answer your question, please make sure you attach these to your profile in Handshake (click on your name, top right, then documents). You do not need to make the documents public – the Careers and Placements staff team will be able to see them.
Browse events, employers and jobs
When you browse employers you have the option to follow them so that you get an alert when a new event or opportunity is posted. On an employer profile you can also see Handshake users who have worked at that company and whether any reviews have been submitted.
Don’t forget we’re more than just our Handshake Portal!
There is loads of fantastic information on our website too – york.ac.uk/careers
This is where you can find out more about
How to get started with career planning
Ideas to help you research career options
Find your strengths through the York Strengths programme
Read through our collection of career stories from York graduates in York profiles and Mentors
Find out more about volunteering opportunities in York
Find out more about Placement Year and Enterprise
Listen to our podcast – What Do You Actually Do?